Friday, June 22, 2012

Kids' Klub Konclusion (by Sara)

Wednesday night was our last kids' klub for the week. A very bittersweet event. Sweet in the sense that during the afternoon after work projects we no longer had to make massive amounts of popcorn or crush ice for snow cones. Bitter because leaving all of those kids and telling them that you will not be returning the next day until next year is very difficult. I bonded most with a few of the little girls (Anna, Greta, Nuru, Sarah, and Nazrah) and it broke my heart when I had to tell them goodbye. Something I always looked forward to each night was pulling up to the apartments and hearing my name being yelled from across the yard and seeing those sweet, silly girls run up to me and throw their arms around me. We spent a lot of time hula hooping, laughing, and playing on the swing set that our  group had built a few years before. Seeing those girls every night really put a smile on my face and brightened any exhausted mood I may have been in. I have known some of these girls for a few years now and leaving them on Wednesday night was truly painful. When I had to tell them that I would not be returning for the rest of the week and only being able to give them a "maybe next year" as I will have graduated college by then and may not be able to go on this trip next year, I was heartbroken. God has truly enlarged my heart for these little girls. I could not hug them enough before we got in our vans and headed out for the last time this week. I will pray for them and their families while I am away from them and hope that I can make it back next year to reconnect with my sweet girls.

No comments: