Friday, June 24, 2011

The journey home... What the trip meant to me (Ryan, Tate and Sara)

As one who is returning from my fourth trip to St Louis, I find it a bit difficult to find some things new. For four years we have returned to the same apartment complex for kid's club, I tutored a child I had years previous, the shirts given at the end of the week were mostly reminiscent of last Year's. However this year I realized after coming so many times I am no longer in the company of kind strangers but friends. There are kids that I remember from my first wild ride to St Louis. Though I said that I felt as if I did things that did not feel "new", I know this really is not true. I help paint a mural and met loads of new people. I am not disappointed with this year, it was just as wild and enjoyable as any of my previous trips. God was at work among us and working through us, that much I am certain of.

Ryan

This week meant a lot to me in terms of relationships, strengthening old relationships and creating new ones. Our youth group has definitely become a family to me and I know I would be lost without them. This is my fifth year on this trip and every year helps me grow in my friendships with these people. Aside from old relationships we form new ones with kids and staff members at New City. Tutoring in the morning connects us with the students and the college City Lights teaching team. Our afternoons are filled with work projects with our group and others. This year I helped paint a mural with others from our group and our project leader Mark Taylor. In the evenings we headed off to kids club to develop more friendships with children. What a joy! All in all, a great trip and I look forward to returning for my sixth year next year! - Sara


This trip meant to me the ending to my senior year. I will most likely stop going on trips for quite some time due to my intense 20 months of college. However this trip was so frustrating at times but I must admit other times it was a blessing. This was my fourth and final year. Too bad I had to be sick for most of it. -Tate





No comments: